Skip to main content

Supporting

 Sometimes, they let you have visitors. If you're relatively stable, not a threat to others and can handle social situations, you are allowed to invite people to come see you at the ward. Typically, it's family members that visit the patients, but close friends are also common. For me, having people visit me is the most important part of recovering and getting closer to the eventual check-out date along with the actual treatment. In general, it feels good to leave the sterile white rooms for a little while and talk with people who are living their regular lives. It makes you feel like a normal person again, kind of restoring that connection to the outside world you've lost since being admitted. 


"Ah, so the world is still the same, after all. When I get out, I'll return to the normalcy of everyday life once more."


It's a very comforting thought. And a very important one to hold onto too, because institutionalization is something we are all afraid of there. If possible, please ask your loved ones to visit you, and don't let yourself forget what is actually normal. 


visitor.

 Sometimes, the people who you would want to come visit you the most are far away. Very far away. If you can reach out to them in any kind of way, let them know what your situation is like, and they might say something similar to this:


"I am so sorry I cannot be there for you right now. If I could, I would hop on a plane right now and come over there to support you."


And you can hear the guilt in their voice, you can read it in between the lines of their messages. No matter how much it hurts you that they are the one who cannot pay you a visit, you should always let them know that it is not their fault. That the support they are giving you by other means is just as valuable as physical presence in real life. Because there is a lot of shame and guilt associated with having a loved one admitted to the psych ward, feelings of bitterness, betrayal, failure, and even despair. While there is no reason to be feeling that way, I always make it a point to assure my loved ones I'm not upset with them if they can't visit me. That sometimes, the thought really is all that matters. 


glass room.

The stigma on psychiatric health care, especially hospitals and wards dedicated to it, is still so massive that you can't pretend it doesn't exist. I know I fail at this myself constantly, because it really doesn't make any sense to you, right? A hospital is a hospital, a ward is a ward. But that's not the kind of world we live in right now – but maybe some other time, who knows. 


For that reason, any kind of support you get is even more valuable. Hold onto those who are willing to make you feel loved and cared for, even when you are at the very lowest you've been. Because those are the people who will keep you feeling that way day after day, through the easier and harder times alike. I promise. 


With gratitude,

ichigonya

Comments

  1. This is such an important piece ans so well written! You're absolutely right, the support of your loved ones is what will keep you going, even when you feel like giving up and I'm happy to be able to support you and love you like I do <33

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

share your thoughts with me while being respectful! verbal abuse and harassment is strictly prohibited.